Dark circles can be very annoying. They occur due to many reasons, including poor sleep cycle, stress, skin abnormalities, nutrient deficiency and so on. While there are a lot of cosmetic remedies out there, we have for you a natural one.
Studies have shown that coconut oil is effective in reducing dark circles. It is easily available and is body-friendly. It has anti-microbial & anti-inflammatory properties. It is also rich in antioxidants which help rejuvenate your skin. It has moisturizing factors and acts as a natural sunblock. All these properties combined, coconut oil has the potential to heal your skin and reduce dark circles naturally. Now let us dive into how you can make that happen!
How to use coconut oil for dark circles?
In order to extract the maximum benefit, you will require mixing some supplementary ingredients along with coconut oil. Here's a list of best remedies to remove dark circles using coconut oil-
1. Coconut Oil + Evening Primrose Carrier Oil:
Evening primrose oil is well known for its nourishing capabilities. it can remove dead cells and increase skin radiance. The magic trick is to use evening primrose oil along with coconut oil. This combination is powerful in skin healing effect and will provide nourishment to your skin.
- 3-4 drops of coconut oil
- Up to 2 drops of evening primrose oil
- And, a clean bowl
- Take all the ingredients mentioned above and mix them well until is becomes a paste.
- Clean your wash using a mild face wash
- Apply the paste using your fingertips
- Leave it on your face overnight
- Wash it off the next morning.
- For maximum benefit apply this combination at night before going to bed
- You can repeat the same 2-3 times a week.
2. Coconut Oil + Turmeric Paste:
It is well known that turmeric has wonderful benefits for the skin. It has natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Turmeric is easily available all over the world in a variety of forms.
In the case of dark circles, they are known to fight discolouration of the skin. So if you add turmeric with coconut oil, the benefits can be enormous.
- Turmeric powder/ raw turmeric
- ½ tablespoon of coconut oil
- A mixing bowl
- Make a paste out of the turmeric
- Add the paste and coconut oil to the bowl
- Keep mixing until you get a smooth paste that can be evely spread
- Clean your eyebags and face using a mild facewash,
- Apply a mask of the coconut oil+ turmeric paste
- Leave the mask on for up to 25 minutes
- Wash it off with water
- Apply this at night before going to bed
- 2-3 times a week is considered ample
Do not leave the mask overnight.
3. Coconut Oil + Almond Oil:
Almond oil is rich in nutrients including vitamin E which is really good for your skin. It has properties that lighten up dark skin and reduce the puffiness of eye bags. It contains a lot of natural antioxidants and the fatty acids can help moisturize your skin better than any cosmetic moisturizer. It also contains vitamin K which can heal the delicate skin cell in your eyebags without causing any irritation. Combine this with coconut oil and you have yourself a magic skin healing potion.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of almond oil
- A bowl
- Add the mentioned amount of almond oil and coconut oil to the bowl
- Mix them well for about 2 mins
- Clean your face with soap or a mild facewash
- Dry out the skin before applying
- Apply the mixture using your finger
- Massage the applied areas and leave it overnight
- Wash it off with a mild fash wash in the morning.
- 1-2 times a week before going to bed at night.
This method is not recommended for people with oily skin.
4. Coconut Oil+ Potato+ Cucumber:
Potato is well known to help in eradicating discolouration of the skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can soothe the nerves and blood vessels under your delicate facial skin. And, cucumber has the ability to remove excess fluid accumulated in your facial skin. You can consider cucumber as a natural astringent. Add these two ingredients with coconut oil can heal the dark circles on your skin rapidly.
- ½ of a cucumber
- ⅓ of a potato
- Few drops of coconut oil
- A bowl
- Peel the cucumber and potato and chop them into smaller pieces
- Add the to a blader and bled until to get a fine paste
- Add coconut nut into the bowl and mix it well with the blended paste
- Cleanse your face with a mild face wash
- Apply the paste to the dark circles
- Massage lightly using your fingertips
- Leave the paste on for about 20 minutes and then wash it off with a mild face wash.
- Continue this every night for up to 2 weeks.
5. Coconut Oil + Chickpea Flour+ Lemon juice + Honey:
Chickpea flour has a lot of healing capabilities when it comes to your skin. It can increase natural radiance and keep away an oily look. Honey as we all know has excellent antioxidant properties and can rejuvenate your facial skin. And, lemon juice is famous for its exfoliating capabilities and regeneration of fresh skin cells. Put all of these amazing ingredients together and you have got yourself an outstanding skin healing mask that can remove dark circles naturally.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (warmed)
- ½ tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour
- Few drops of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder (for added benefits)
- 1 teaspoon of whole milk (for added benefits)
- A bowl
- Add honey, lemon juice, and milk with coconut oil and mix well for up to 2 minutes
- Add turmeric and chickpea flour to the paste and mix again
- Keep blending until to get a fine paste
- Clean your face and pat it dry with a soft towel
- Apply the mixture and gently massage using your fingers
- Leave the paste on your dark circles for about 25 minutes
- Wash it off with water and pat dry face.
Also Read: Daily Skin Care Routine for Oily Skin
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dark Circles:
Coconut oil is also easily available in abundance all over the world and it can also be made naturally at home. This makes the ingredients pure and unaltered by chemical additives. Widely used a hair oil for cooking, this magical oil can do wonders for your skin too. Make sure you follow the above-mentioned remedies in order to have healthy and bright skin all the year-round.
Here is a glimpse of the benefits of coconut oil:
- Coconut oil is very rich in anti-inflammatory properties
- It also possesses extraordinary anti-microbial and antioxidant properties
- Research has shown that the fatty acids in coconut oil can help repair any damage to skin cells caused by direct exposure to the sun or stress of lack of sleep
- It can keep fungal infections away from your skin
- It acts as a natural moisturizer and rehydrates dry skin.
Recommnded Read: 10 Healthful Benefits of Having Dates with Milk
Side effects of using coconut oil for dark circles:
- Allergies: Virgin coconut oil is generally considered safe for your skin but if you have an allergy or any underlying aliment, it can cause damage to your facial skin.
- Irritation: Excess oil can sometimes cause irritation to your skin. Make sure to wash away the oil proper after every remedy.
- Side Effects due to oil quality: Coconut oil that is not pure and added with chemicals can cause dizziness or headache. Make sure you use virgin coconut oil and also do not let it enter your eyes.
Although it is not a major health threat, dark circles can be the cause of social anxiety and also signifies your stress. So it is important to take good care of yourself in order to avoid getting dark circles. Make sure you drink enough water and get at least 6 hours of sleep daily. And in case you see dark circles forming, follow the remedies mentioned above and you shall have healthy-looking skin.